Re: What to do about the 2TB limit on HDIO_GETGEO ?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Mar 25 2008 - 17:29:26 EST

Greg KH wrote:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 01:36:51PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Randy Dunlap wrote:
Come on people, adding symlinks for device major:minor numbers in sysfs
to save a few 10s of lines of userspace code? Can things get sillier?

You can add a single udev rule to probably build these in a tree in /dev
if you really need such a thing...

And what's wrong with your new ioctl recomendation?
Ah, there's some sanity. :)
It's not so much an issue of a few tens of lines of user space code, but rather the fact that something that should be O(1) is currently O(n).

"should"? why? Is this some new requirement that everyone needs? I've
_never_ seen anyone ask for the ability to find sysfs devices by
major:minor number in O(1) time. Is this somehow a place where such
optimization is warranted?

Well, when dealing with shell scripts a O(n) very easily becomes O(n^2). For the stuff that I, personally, do, it's not a big deal, but people with large number of disks have serious gripes with our boot times.

-hpa