Re: What if a TLB flush needed to sleep?

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Wed Mar 26 2008 - 08:33:16 EST

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 01:49:54PM -0700, Luck, Tony wrote:
> 1) Is holding a spin lock a problem for any other arch when
> doing a TLB flush (I'm particularly thinking of those that
> need to use IPI shootdown for the purge)?

parisc certainly has that problem too. It won't happen very often, but
it will do an on_each_cpu() and wait for the outcome once in a while.

> 2) Is it feasible to rearrange the MM code so that we don't
> hold any locks while doing a TLB flush? Or should I implement
> some sort of spin_only_semaphore?

down_spin() is trivial to implement without knowing the details of the
semaphore code:

void down_spin(struct semaphore *sem)
{
while (down_trylock(sem))
cpu_relax();
}

Of course, someone who wrote it could do better ;-)

void down_spin(struct semaphore *sem)
{
unsigned long flags;
int count;

spin_lock_irqsave(&sem->lock, flags);
count = sem->count - 1;
if (likely(count >= 0))
sem->count = count;
else
__down_spin(sem);
spin_unlock_irqrestore(&sem->lock, flags);
}

void __down_spin(struct semaphore *sem)
{
struct semaphore_waiter waiter;

list_add_tail(&waiter.list, &sem->wait_list);
waiter.task = current;
waiter.up = 0;

spin_unlock_irq(&sem->lock);
while (!waiter.up)
cpu_relax();
spin_lock_irq(&sem->lock);
}

This more complex implementation is better because:
- It queues properly (see also down_timeout)
- It spins on a stack-local variable, not on a global structure

Having done all that ... I bet parisc and ia64 aren't the only two
architectures which can sleep in their tlb flush handlers.

a retrograde step."