Re: 2.6.25-rc7: Ugh.

From: Mark Lord
Date: Thu Mar 27 2008 - 22:15:04 EST

Mark Lord wrote:
It is with great reluctance when I attempt moving my main "desktop"
over to a new kernel version -- because the USB subsystem seems to
break every single time.

So today I tried 2.6.25-rc7 on it for the first time.
Not good.

It boots, but just a simple suspend/resume (RAM) was enough to kill it.
It comes back on resume, with an X desktop again,
but with no USB functionality -- no mouse.

The keyboard still works, so I dropped to a console and tried:

rmmod usbhid
insmod usbhid

And the console hung at 100% CPU on the insmod.
Back to 2.6.24.3 again, for now -- I've got work to do.

The specs of this machine have been posted with great regularity
in the past, every new kernel revision it seems. So here we go again:

Dell Inspiron 9400 notebook, Intel Core2Duo T7400, 2GB SDRAM.
..

Correction there: 3GB of RAM, not 2.