Re: down_spin() implementation

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Fri Mar 28 2008 - 09:18:21 EST

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 01:51:04PM +0100, Jens Axboe wrote:
> It used to be illegal to pass flags as parameters. IIRC, sparc did some
> trickery with it. That may still be the case, I haven't checked in a
> long time.

That problem was removed before 2.6 started, iirc. At least the chapter
on 'The Fucked Up Sparc' [1] was removed before 2.6.12-rc2 (the
beginning of git history and I can't be bothered to pinpoint it more
precisely).

> Why not just fold __down_spin() into down_spin() and get rid of that
> nasty anyway?

Could have done. It's moot now that Nick's pointed out how unsafe it
is to mix down_spin() with plain down().

[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/kernel-locking/x467.html

a retrograde step."