Re: Kconfig RTC selection (was: 2.6.25-rc7: Ugh.)

From: David Brownell
Date: Fri Mar 28 2008 - 18:18:51 EST

On Friday 28 March 2008, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > grep for CONFIG_SUN_MOSTEK_RTC and you'll get the point.
> >
> > Right: it doesn't mention JS_RTC at all. Whatever is up
> > with that stuff, it's broken.
>
> You miss the point, the point is:
> drivers/sbus/char/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_SUN_MOSTEK_RTC) += rtc.o
>
> Two modules with the same name in one build are not allowed.

It gets uglier and uglier. So if that abortion is really
needed, it'd make more sense to rename the MOSTEK code.
If that's not fixed, its Kconfig should mention needing
the JS_RTC thing instead of the "real" legacy rtc.c ...

Glad I got rid of my JavaStation ages ago, but I liked
the idea of having a real builtin coffee cup holder. :)

You see why nobody wants to touch the legacy RTC stuff?
Some of it is broken *BY DESIGN* instead of just by
pure happenstance of evolution.

- Dave