Re: Comma at end of enum lists

From: Jacek Luczak
Date: Sat Mar 29 2008 - 13:29:23 EST

Al Viro pisze:
On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 10:20:38AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Jacek Luczak wrote:
Hi All,

I've found that in many enum lists, there's a comma at the end, e.g. (arch/x86/kernel/early_printk.c):

enum {
MAGIC1 = 0xBACCD00A,
MAGIC2 = 0xCA110000,
XOPEN = 5,
XWRITE = 4,
};

Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason here (no word in CodingStyle about that).

Yes, it's so you can add a line without affecting the line before it, making a one-line patch into a two-line patch that's more likely to conflict.

Note that doing that makes sense only when you can expect additions to
the end and even then it's a matter of taste.

I think it's hard to ,,expect additions'' or just predict them. But smaller patch (diff) is one of things that makes sens of adding extra commas. I'm just pedantic here.

-Jacek