Limiting CPU usage for processes in linux 2.6.18.8

From: Eric Descourtis
Date: Sun Mar 30 2008 - 22:06:03 EST

Hello,

I would like to implement a patch to the scheduler that limits the CPU usage of individual
processes to a percentage in Linux 2.6.18.8 (Can't be any other version).
I would just like some feedback on the following questions:

1. How can I ensure that limited processes get their CPU time percentage allocation?
2. Are there mechanisms in place that would simplify this process?

I have been hitting my head against the wall for a long time now, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Eric des Courtis
CC: eric.des.courtis@xxxxxxxxx