Re: Clarifying platform_device_unregister

From: Jaya Kumar
Date: Tue Apr 01 2008 - 21:57:25 EST

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Dmitry Torokhov
<dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 12:47:54AM -0700, Jaya Kumar wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Dmitry Torokhov
> > <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Platform device code does kfree(pdev->dev.platform_data) unpon
> > > unregistration, so it is not a good idea to assign address of
> > > statically-allocated variable here. You should be using:
> > >
> > > platform_device_add_data(mytest_device, &mydata, sizeof(mydata));
> > >

> > That's interesting. I noticed though that a lot of platform device
> > code assigns a statically allocated structure to platform_data. For
> > example:
> >
> > arch/arm/mach-pxa/corgi_pm.c
> > static struct sharpsl_charger_machinfo corgi_pm_machinfo = {
> > }
> > corgipm_device->dev.platform_data = &corgi_pm_machinfo;
> >
> > same with spitz_pm.c.
> >
> > egrep "platform_data.*=.*\&" *.c shows quite a lot of users doing
> > that. I guess most of these below are probably okay since these
> > drivers can't be rmmoded.
> >

> Hmm, are you sure they can't be removed? Why do they all have
> module_exit methods?

Sorry, I was unclear. I agree that corgi_pm and spitz_pm are suspect
because they are unloadable. The others that I listed such as lpd270,
lubbock, and mainstone are machine definitions (is that the right term
for me to use?) and can't be unloaded.

> Even if they can't be unloaded the whole thing will blow to pieces
> if registration fails. Consider this:
>
> static int __devinit spitzpm_init(void)
> {
> int ret;
>
> spitzpm_device = platform_device_alloc("sharpsl-pm", -1);
> if (!spitzpm_device)
> return -ENOMEM;
>

> spitzpm_device->dev.platform_data = &spitz_pm_machinfo;
> ret = platform_device_add(spitzpm_device);
>
> if (ret)
> platform_device_put(spitzpm_device);
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
> This will try to kfree(spitzpm_device->dev.platform_data) and it gonna
> blow. We need to do spitzpm_device->dev.platform_data = NULL before doing
> put.
>
> Also spitzpm_init() shoudl be marked __init, not __devinit and
> spitzpm_exit() should be __exit() if it is event needed at all.
>
> Richard, I think you work with spitz and corgi, any comments?

I also have a followup. Does corgi/spitz_pm need to manage the module
refcount of sharpsl-pm? I couldn't find any platform device code that
manages the refcount of the platform driver that it binds them to. So
I suspect this means that platform devices must do the try_module_get
stuff themselves. Out of curiosity, what's the reason for not doing
this inside the base/platform.c code?

Thanks,
jaya