Re: linux-2.6.25-rc8, an oddity

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Apr 02 2008 - 11:48:28 EST

Greetings;

I've switched to an ati based R610 chipset video card, and the radeonhd
driver, so I can rejoin the canaries that test this stuff. All brought about
by my 200GB boot drive giving itself an appendectomy as it was dying of
whatever they die of when the logs show an incessant attempt to reset the
drive. There is now a 500GB on the end of that cable.

3 observations, but I believe only the first is related to this kernel.

1. I note when I logged in (always to runlevel 3, no x at that point) that it
gave me tty1, instead of the usual tty0.

Is there a reason why the non-x login screen wasn't /dev/tty0? It does
exist..

2. Also, if I exit x, expecting to see my original screen, its not there, no
drive at all to the monitor so it shuts down. I think I can blindly startx
again, or type reboot, or give it the vulcan nerve pinch but I don't get
video back until the reboots post finds it. This is regardless of the kernel
running apparently I've tried fedora's latest, 2.6.24.4, and now 2.6.25-rc8.

3. Can I modprobe a vesa related module to fix this somehow? There are
several in the /lib/modules/`uname -r`/drivers/video subdir tree but they do
not show in an lsmod as being loaded. This card is shown in dmesg only as a
single entry:

0.526924] pci 0000:02:00.0: Boot video device

and shows as this in lspci -nv now:

02:00.0 0300: 1002:94c4 (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: 1545:0028
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 5
Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
I/O ports at c000 [size=256]
Memory at e1000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [58] AGP version 3.0

Thanks for any help/info here.

--
Cheers, Gene