Re: 2.6.24.X: SATA/AHCI related boot delay. - not with 2.6.24.3

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 01:26:32 EST

Hello, Volker.

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
In short, no changes at all.
Thanks for confirming.

Peer, Kuan. Volker is reporting detection problems on MCP65 AHCI.
The followings are what we've discovered till now.

1. When the controller is put into non-raid mode in BIOS

* If softreset is used, either the softreset itself or IDENTIFY
following it times out once. On retrial, it works fine. It
doesn't matter whether the SRST is issued by itself or as
follow-up-srst after hardreset. Using only hardreset works fine.

* The controller doesn't indicate MSI capability and MSI isn't used
by default.

2. When the controller is put into ahci mode in BIOS

* SRST works fine.

* The controller indicates MSI capability but MSI doesn't work
properly resulting in IRQ delivery failure. Adding
intx_disable_bug quirk doesn't help.

I've performed similar test on MCP67 and everything worked fine on it.

Both problems (SRST and MSI) can be worked around but I need more
information to work around those.

* Which chips are affected? Are there proper fixes?

* For the MSI problem, is it system wide problem or local to the ahci
controller?

I rebooted with non-raid set, without pci=nomsi

this is cat /proc/interrupts:
CPU0 CPU1
0: 57 1 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 0 81 IO-APIC-edge i8042
8: 0 1 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 0 1 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
12: 0 3 IO-APIC-edge i8042
17: 2 2868 IO-APIC-fasteoi nvidia
18: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi EMU10K1
22: 4 745 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1
314: 0 158 PCI-MSI-edge eth0
315: 7 12769 PCI-MSI-edge ahci

as you can see, only the sata controller and the network uses msi.

And networking works - or I wouldn't be able to send you this mail.

I guess the ahci controller works too. This is getting confusing, so MSI doesn't work iff the controller is configured as ahci in BIOS?

I will reboot from systemresucecd later today and post some results with ahci-mode set, no nomsi. Just can't try patches that way.

Is sytemrescuecd using the same kernel? Otherwise, it will only add more to the confusion.

--
tejun