Re: Proposed patch for IDE missing commands

From: Boris Petkov
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 11:42:50 EST

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Stefan Richter
<stefanr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Frans Pop wrote:
> > Boris Petkov wrote:
> >> Please, rebase/redo your patch against latest -rc kernel (in this case
> >> 2.6.25-rc8) und run it through scripts/checkpatch.pl in order to adjust it
> >> to the kernel coding style. See Documentation/CodingStyle for details.
>
> Why don't linux kernel insiders help first-time contributors here a bit
> and simply repost the patch with style fix-up? That would be a matter
> of 10 minutes or so and a more valuable contribution than a mere
> RTFCodingStyle.

Well, it'll probably take the same time to run checkpatch.pl on it and
simply do what the
tool suggests wrt to style - after all this can't be more complex than
writing kernel code
in itself, now can it? What is more, my suggestion was also to _redo_
the patch against a more
recent kernel version since ide-disk has changed since then and, even
disregarding code
style issues, the patch is inapplicable as such (e.g. deleted
functions) Finally, despite all
that who's-doing-what soul searching, redoing patches has a great
didactical value which
all of us have experienced time and again :).

--
Regards/Gruß,
Boris