Re: [-mm] Add an owner to the mm_struct (v7)

From: Balbir Singh
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 14:48:48 EST

Paul Menage wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Balbir Singh <balbir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> That is indeed quite bad. Do we have to retire the group_leader to init_css_set?
>> Can we not check for delay_group_leader() there?
>>

> That might have unintentded consequences, such as leaving a pid in the
> cgroup that can't be moved (since it's PF_EXITING) but won't go away
> until its threads have all exited.
> Maybe that's OK if the other threads are guaranteed to have started
> exiting by this point. We'd need some cleanup for when the group
> leader finally did exit.

Yes, we might be stuck with an unremovable group, but I am not sure how to
address the side-effect at this point. Not having that check could mean that
mm_update_new_owner() will be called very frequently and for thousands of
threads that could clearly become an overhead, if threads start exiting one by
one - lead by the thread group leader.

--
Warm Regards,
Balbir Singh