[ANNOUNCE] kmemcheck v7

From: Vegard Nossum
Date: Fri Apr 04 2008 - 09:44:29 EST

Hi,

I skipped the public announcements for versions 5 and 6, but here is 7 :)

General description: kmemcheck is a patch to the linux kernel that
detects use of uninitialized memory. It does this by trapping every
read and write to memory that was allocated dynamically (e.g. using
kmalloc()). If a memory address is read that has not previously been
written to, a message is printed to the kernel log.

Changes since v4 (rough list):
- SLUB parts were broken-out into its own file to avoid cluttering the main
SLUB code.
- A rather lot of cleanups, including removing #ifdefs from arch code.
- Some preparation in anticipation of an x86_64 port.
- Make reporting safer by using a periodic timer to inspect the error queue.
- Fix hang due to page flags changing too early on free().
- Fix hang due to kprobes incompatibility.
- Allow CONFIG_SMP, but limit number of CPUs to 1 at run-time.
- Add kmemcheck=0|1 boot option.
- Add /proc/sys/kernel/kmemcheck for run-time enabling/disabling.

These patches apply to Linus's v2.6.25-rc8. The latest patchset can also be
found here: http://folk.uio.no/vegardno/linux/kmemcheck/

(I will try to submit this for inclusion in 2.6.26, and testing and feedback
is of course very welcome!)

I would like to thank the following people, who provided patches or helped
in various ways:

Ingo Molnar
Paul McKenney
Pekka Enberg