Re: debugfs_remove() vs. anything that is dynamic

From: Johannes Berg
Date: Fri Apr 04 2008 - 11:41:42 EST

> If you worry about this type of interaction, use debugfs_create_file,
> which takes a fileops, and set your module owner in there so that the
> reference count will not allow your module from being removed.
>
> Also remember, you have to be root to unload modules, so if you are
> doing that, and you have debugfs files open, you should know better :)

That really was just an example, we have per-wireless-device debugfs
code users can easily trigger a debugfs_remove() by unplugging a usb
netdevice for example. Also, that means that anything that is dynamic
would have the lifetime rules imposed by debugfs which is rather
awkward.

The current code for simple_attr_open copies the in i_private pointer:

attr->data = inode->i_private;

if, instead, it would keep a reference to that, like

attr->dataptr = &ïinode->i_private;

we could NULL out that pointer on debugfs_remove() and have
simple_attr_read() just return -ENOENT.

However, if nobody else is concerned about this, I'll just remove all
the wireless debugfs code instead, I just don't want to allow crashing
it that way.

johannes