Re: Slow tape drive timeout

From: Kai Makisara
Date: Fri Apr 04 2008 - 14:04:35 EST

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Robert Hancock wrote:

> Kai Makisara wrote:

> > > Why is accessing the tape drive with no tape in it causing a timeout in
> > > the
> > > first place? I should think that would fail immediately with some "medium
> > > not
> > > present" error from the drive. Unless the drive has no mechanism to detect
> > > it,
> > > but that seems really retarded..
> > >
> > It does not seem retarded to me. If a program wants to just wait until the
> > tape drive becomes ready (e.g., loads the tape), it can use the blocking
> > open. This is simple. If a program wants to test the status, it uses
> > non-blocking open. The behavior mandated by the standards provides
> > alternatives. If O_NONBLOCK is not supported, the user program must
> > implement the waiting logic if the program just wants to wait until the
> > drive is ready before starting i/o.
>
> This behavior is not consistent with any other removable storage device
> provided by Linux, however. If you try to open a CD-ROM device node when no
> disc is inserted, it doesn't block, it just gives you an error right away. Why
> should the tape drive behavior be different?

The tape driver supports O_NONBLOCK, the cdrom and disk drivers don't. The
tape and disk drivers are otherwise so different (tape is character
device, disks block devices) that I don't think it is a problem if the
tape drive supports more features than the disk drivers.

I looked at my emails from 2001 when support for O_NONBLOCK was
introduced. The reasons for this where standards (as mentioned already)
and that some applications required this feature. So, it was not added
just for fun.

--
Kai