Re: Clock has stopped (time/date looping over 5 seconds), thingsare broken - what to check to debug?

From: Roger Heflin
Date: Mon Apr 07 2008 - 11:42:32 EST

Joel K. Greene wrote:
Hi Roger,

Does this sound familiar:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/14/178

That sounds like it matches what I have.

We've been chasing this for quite a while. Our PIC gets in a bad state
where it thinks the CPU is in the ISR, and so won't give another int. We
haven't much of an idea of how we get in that state other than that
HZ=1000 makes it happen faster and HZ=100 causes it less often.

I do have HZ=1000 set, Pavel mentions setting it the =4000 to make it happen faster, I will try that, I am rebuilding 2.4.24.4 with =4000 in the .config file, and will verify after it is up that 4000 is running on it.

My machine does have a fair amount of cpu usage (transcoding video), and has a fair amount of interrupt handling (5 disks, and 3 TV recording cards).

I think that if you look at jiffies you will see it is not incrementing.
The 4 second loop seems to be in the conversion from jiffies to wall
time.

I did check the counter in /proc/timer_list under (now at) and it was looping too.

It _appears_ that there is a race in the kernel that can be triggered by
any number of hardware issues. There's another thread by Gregory Stark
with the same symptoms - he thinks his was fixed by replacing a bad
DIMM.

I don't think I have bad HW, I will run a test job for a few hours that checks its results and make sure that the proper answers are coming back, and it is not crashing.

I do have a couple of disks (on a SIL controller) that every so often appear to give funny errors, but recover and continue on.

Note that we first saw this on 2.6.16, and Gregory found it on 2.6.5.
We've seen systems run for a couple of months before seeing this, so
it's a bear to debug.

How often is this happening for you? How repeatable?

14-30 days, I don't know if it always happens or not, I don't have exact enough data, but I don't think the machine has made it past 30 days in the last 6 months, if I go back far enough though, I believe it was stable, before I added a couple of TV recording cards (PVR150, HD5500), and a disk controller (SIL) to it.

What hardware are you running on?

AMD-754 Sempron64 processor.

ASUS K8V-SE Deluxe MB (VT8385/VT8387 Chipset), so very different HW that the Serverworks-P3 that you have.