Re: [NFS] Increase size of struct fid raw buffer

From: Steven Whitehouse
Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 - 03:53:28 EST

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 08:54 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> >
> > GFS2 requires the NFS filehandle buffer to be larger than the
> > minimum size as per the bug report: http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/24/374
> > Its a pretty trivial fix for now and I've done a test which shows
> > that it works ok.
>
> I'm not seeing the point of this.
>
> Every single instance of "struct fid" that I saw in a quick grep was
> created not as a "struct fid", but as some other data structure that was
> then cast to a "struct fid *".
>
> So the _underlying_ size of "struct fid" seems to be pretty random, and
> totally unrelated to this declaration.
>
> But admittedly that really was just a quick grep, and maybe I missed
> something. But it seems like this patch doesn't really change anything,
> just largely makes a change in a structure that is apparently used as an
> opaque pointer.
>
> Is there anything that actually uses "struct fid" as an _allocation_
> entity?
>
> And if not, then that "_u32 raw[6]" should probably be a un-sized "_u32
> raw[]" instead, no?
>
> Linus

I'm happy with that solution, although I'd assumed that the reason this
field had a size in the first place was that the NFS people had a plan
to use the structure as an allocation entity in the future. Can an NFS
developer please confirm/deny this?

If everybody is happy with the plan, then I'll send a patch to make the
change as you suggest shortly,

Steve.