Re: [regression] e1000e broke e1000

From: Dan Noe
Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 - 16:12:59 EST

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
It's almost trivial to add new string attributes to sysfs. We could
have a file, say, /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:07:03.0/broken which
lspci could read to see if anything's left a message for us.

Is that the kind of thing you had in mind?

I would consider this a worthwhile addition to the kernel (and lspci). It would be nice if lspci could display what driver had claimed a particular device, and which devices were unclaimed by any driver or otherwise had an error that prevented initialization.

I don't have enough experience to gauge how invasive this would be, but I'd be happy to contribute towards it if practical.

Cheers,
Dan

--