Re: [regression] e1000e broke e1000

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 - 16:34:06 EST

* Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> i repeat, it took me more than an hour to figure out why there's no
>> networking on my laptop. Guess how much it takes for a plain user to
>> figure out the same problem.
>
> A plain user would have obtained a working distro kernel, putting this
> rare problem purely in the laps of people with highly unusual kernel
> configs...
>
> But as noted in the announcement, the fix is for this is to continue
> in the next step in the transition, then you only have one driver
> claiming those IDs, for any given config. No need for further Kconfig
> tweakage.

i find it mindboggling and rather sad that you are still in denial :-(

this is an obvious regression to me, with a very simple fix. No other
PCI driver breaks like this. We've got three thousand Kconfig options -
it is clearly not realistic for users to keep such details in mind to
avoid pitfalls. E1000=y && E1000E=m is uncommon but can easily happen.
E1000=y && E1000E=m simply makes no sense in light of the PCI ID
stealing that occurs if E1000E is enabled.

Ingo