Re: [ANN] WiMAX stack and drivers for Intel WiMAX Link 5050

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Apr 09 2008 - 02:37:26 EST

Inaky Perez-Gonzalez <inaky-VuQAYsv1563Yd54FQh9/CA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> There is almost no inlining because each X only does stuff from itself. If
> there is a need for inlined stuff (I missed it) it should go to one of the
> header files --internal or external.

Inlining gets more and more discouraged. Also longer term I would
expect that gcc will do inlining over files anyways (it already supports
that, but needs special support in the Makefiles which the kernel
doesn't have). So even with inlining you wouldn't need to merge files
or move code into headers.

> version: I anticipate the wimax API exported to user space is
> going to undergo a lot of changes while we all agree on what
> is the best interface. Because things might break, I want to
> make sure user space stuff can detect that and fail cleanly.
> Hence the versioning.

It's still a bad way to do that (I agree with Stephen on that).
Was also always a mess on wireless.

If you don't want expandable TLAs another better alternative to
versions is ext2 style compatible/incompatible feature bitmaps.

-Andi