Re: 2.6.25-rc8: FTP transfer errors

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Apr 09 2008 - 12:46:41 EST

Mark Lord wrote:
Today I've been using 2.6.25-rc8 with an old embedded build system here
for my empegs. One shell script calls out to /usr/bin/ftp to transfer
an image to a remote system, and then read it back again and compare.

The compare is failing, most (but not all) of the time,
but only on 2.6.25-rc8, not on 2.6.24. Verified by switching
back and forth between kernel versions for a short spell.

The ftp client is netkit-ftp 0.17-16 on Kubuntu feisty.

Switching to ncftpput/ncftpget avoids it on 2.6.25,
but I wonder where the problem is.
..

Now verified that the data loss occurs in the outbound direction.
The readback data is the same, regardless of which client s/w is used.

So something in 2.6.25 is incompatible with the ftp client binary, or libs,
that are installed here. Or some other problem.

Or maybe it uses sendfile, and that is broken?

Also, try using ethtool to turn off TSO and/or checksumming on your NIC (if it is not wireless), and see if behavior changes...

Jeff