Re: [patch 13/17] Immediate Values - x86 Optimization

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Wed Apr 09 2008 - 20:42:30 EST

* H. Peter Anvin (hpa@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>> * H. Peter Anvin (hpa@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>>> Any reason to keep carrying this completely misleading comment chunk
>>> still?
>>>
>>> -hpa
>> This comment explains why I use the =q constraint for the 1 bytes
>> immediate value. It makes sure we use an instruction with 1-byte opcode,
>> without REX.R prefix, on x86_64.
>
> No, it doesn't. That would be "=Q".
>
> -hpa

Ok. Sorry, it's been a few months since we looked at this. So the =q
opcode lets the compiler choose instructions with or without REX prefix.
We can allow this because

- We don't need the opcode length in the stop_machine_run() version
- we support variable length opcode in the nmi-safe version

Am I remembering correctly now ?

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers