Multiple instances of devpts

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sat Apr 12 2008 - 14:55:30 EST

Al Viro wrote:

*boggle*

Care to explain how that "namespace" is different from devpts instance?
IOW, why the devil do you guys ignore Occam's Razor?

Frankly, this nonsense has gone far enough; I can buy the need to compensate
for shitty APIs (sockets, non-fs-based-IPC, etc.), but devpts *is* *a*
*fucking* *filesystem*. Already. And as such it's already present in
normal, real, we-really-shouldn't-have-any-other-if-not-for-ancient-stupidity
namespace.

Why not simply allow independent instances of devpts and be done with that?

In particular:

/dev/ptmx can be a symlink ptmx -> pts/ptmx, and we add a ptmx instance inside the devpts filesystem. Each devpts filesystem is responsible for its own pool of ptys, with own numbering, etc.

This does mean that entries in /dev/pts are more than just plain device nodes, which they are now (you can cp -a a device node from /dev/pts into another filesystem and it will still "just work"), but I doubt this actually matters to anyone. If anyone cares, now I guess would be a good time to speak up.

-hpa