Re: [rfc] hw resource debugging checks (was: Re: x86 git treebroken (bisected))

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Apr 13 2008 - 05:20:25 EST

* Yinghai Lu <yhlu.kernel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> =====> just sent out one patch to work around that

yep, just applied that one.

> also BIOS is sick to allocate overlapping MMIO to the same link..
>
> node 0 link 0: io port [1000, ffffff]
> TOM: 0000000080000000 aka 2048M
> node 0 link 0: mmio [e0000000, efffffff]
> node 0 link 0: mmio [a0000, bffff]
> node 0 link 0: mmio [80000000, ffffffff]
> bus: [00,ff] on node 0 link 0
>
> never thought that BIOS could be so sick.
> ===> already have one work around, need more test next week.

great!

basically any and all sickness should be assumed both by the hardware
and by the BIOS, _and_ by Linux architecture code as well as it passes
stuff to the generic driver layers. So as resources get set up we should
have resilience all the way and should be on the lookout for signs of
bugs - because breakages are so hard to track down in this area if they
go unnoticed during setup.

Ingo