Re: [2.6 patch] mfd/sm501.c: #if 0 unused functions

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun Apr 13 2008 - 15:04:41 EST

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:55:21PM +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> On 13/04/2008, Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This patch #if 0's the following unused functions:
> > - sm501_find_clock()
> > - sm501_gpio_get()
> > - sm501_gpio_set()
> >

> Hi Adrian,
>
> I know we've discussed this before, but I have to comment on this once more.
>
> Why is it that you seem to prefer adding '#if 0' around blocks of
> unused code instead of removing it outright?

When I removed unused code outright some people complained that they
plan to use it tomorrow or in the next millenium or whenever.

When I #if 0 it other people complain that I should remove it outright.

So whatever I do, there's always someone complaining. ;-)

In this case the code looks as if it might get used at some point in the
future.

But if a maintainer tells me to resend a patch with the code removed
instead of #if 0'ed I'm always glad to do this.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed