Re: Reporting bugs and bisection

From: David Miller
Date: Sun Apr 13 2008 - 16:35:56 EST

From: Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 00:21:18 +0400

> If the same would be done on developers machine and huge patches would
> be sent to jump between changesets, that would be a real 'work closely
> with the reporter working out why the reporter's failure was occurring'?

In fact, this is what Andrew's so-called "back and forth with the bug
reporter" used to mainly consist of. Asking the user to try this patch or
that patch, which most of the time were reverts of suspect changes.

Which, surprise surprise, means we were spending lots of time
bisecting things by hand.

We're able to automate this now and it's not a bad thing.