Re: Reporting bugs and bisection

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 06:31:38 EST

Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> writes:

> doing _kernel_ bisection is totally hard at the moment - it disrupts the
> user way too much and causes many hours of work for most users.

It depends. Sometimes the bisection can be done in qemu/kvm/xen or
similar tools. At least if the problem is not too hardware
dependent. And more and more people actually run in such environments.

I can also do it faster with autoboot or nfs root/powerswitch, but
admittedly that's a very specialized setup most people don't have.

Still I agree with your basic point that it should be only
last resort.

-Andi