Re: No IDE drivers loaded for Toshiba Satellite 320 CDS

From: Frans Pop
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 11:48:58 EST

On Monday 14 April 2008, you wrote:
> > I also think the way I've implemented in the Debian installer should be
> > relatively safe:
> > 1) ide-generic is only loaded _after_ any otherwise detected modules
> > 2) it is only loaded if an ISA bus is present
> > 3) it is only included in the initrd for the installed system if
> > appearing
>
> OK, great for x86 perhaps, what about other systems?

As I've said before, that needs testing.

> In the past debian would load ide-generic last. It worked great. Keep
> doing that. I am not aware of loading ide-generic after all the other
> drivers ever causing any harm in the older debian installers.

Maybe not, but having it loaded in _every_ installed Debian system even when
it was completely unused is definitely something we want to get rid of.

Note that the old behavior relied on the fact that initramfs-tools also
loaded ide-generic by default, which it now no longer does.

Cheers,
FJP