Re: file offset corruption on 32-bit machines?

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 13:06:36 EST

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 06:53:54PM +0200, Jan Kara wrote:
> Well, but imagine you have a file /proc/my_secret_file from which you
> are able to read from position A:a and B:b but not from position
> A:b. Concievably, checks for the file position could be bypassed because of
> this race... I know this is kind of dumb example but I can imagine someone
> can eventually find something like this. So I guess one spin lock/unlock
> pair is a price worth paying in the callpath which is quite long anyway.

But only two threads within the process can read from the filehandle and
hence the process would be doing locking. And external attacker can't
break the internal locking of the process between the threads, and even
if you do open the file in /proc that the process is using, being and
external process you would have your own file handle and hence your own
file position since you aren't part of that process.

--
Len Sorensen