Re: sata io freeze, 2.6.18 and also 2.6.24 [the real culprit]

From: devzero
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 18:03:54 EST

so - you told, you have your disk attached to this controller:

00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 0430
I/O ports at ec00 [size=8]
I/O ports at e800 [size=4]
I/O ports at e400 [size=8]
I/O ports at e000 [size=4]
I/O ports at dc00 [size=16]
I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
Capabilities: <access denied>

and use sata_via module - and your system works stable with nosmp, but freezes very soon on heavy i/o with smp. disabling dma makes no difference.

correct ?

then i assume this could be an smp issue, probably a bug in sata_via and may need further investigation.

there seem no noticeable changes in that driver since 2.6.24 - but maybe it`s worth trying 2.6.25-rc9 to see if it behaves different?
absolutely nothing in dmesg on freeze ?
maybe you could try catching some message with attaching serial console?
how reliably can you crash that box with lots of i/o ? just random crashes or after a certain amount of data written/read ?
could you try if just reading from the raw blockdevice makes a differnce ? (dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/zero)