Re: Reporting bugs and bisection

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 19:19:45 EST

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:01:05 -0700 (PDT)
David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: James Morris <jmorris@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 01:54:00 +1000 (EST)
>
> > - Things like "who made the kernel" statistics and related articles ignore
> > code review.
>
> Note the apparent irony in that the person who ends up often on the
> top of those lists, Al Viro, is also someone who also does a
> significant amount of code review.
>
> I think this is no accident.

"who made the kernel" was an interesting and useful exercise, but if you
like irony then...

- The way to boost your commit count is to submit buggy patches and to
then fix your own bugs.

- The way to lower your commit count is to fix things in other people's
patches, then fold your fix into the base patch. I've lost over 1000
commits that way. Unless they are counting '^ [akpm' as a commit.