Re: No IDE drivers loaded for Toshiba Satellite 320 CDS

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 19:26:20 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
Always loading generic or ata_generic used to be safe. It's still pretty safe but not as much as before. Nowadays, there are good number

ata_generic is always safe unless you force it to grab every class
device. By default it grabs only those devices we know obey the class
interface well enough and for which we have no proper driver (usually
because there are no documents). Ditto for ide/pci/generic.

The trickier one is pata_legacy, which tries to be smart and knows about
the known exception so *should* always be safe. The old IDE legacy driver
lacks these smarts so in some cases will do the wrong thing even if
loaded last.

Right, I was thinking about drivers/ide/ide-generic.c which just grabs every known legacy IO ports. This actually caused rather serious problems on some ATI controllers under certain configurations. :-(

--
tejun