Re: [patch] mm: sparsemem memory_present() memory corruption fix

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 21:17:51 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > this is the only call to memory_present() we do in 32-bit arch
> > > setup, so it's required.
> >
> > We could clip there if SPARSEMEM is configured. I wonder if this
> > affects other platforms that need HIGHMEM support?
>
> clip where and what?

i.e. as per my previous argument i'd consider the need to sanitize the
calls in the architecture fundamentally wrong.

whether the core code emits a warning or allows the call is an
additional question i mention in the changelog - but the core sparse
memory code should _definitely_ not silently overflow a key internal
array ... (of which data structure the architecture code is not even
aware of)

Ingo