Re: Reporting bugs and bisection

From: Alexey Dobriyan
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 16:03:21 EST

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:02:47PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:26:34 +0300
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 02:15:22PM +0200, Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> > > I'm not subscribed to the kernel mailing list, so please include me in
> > > the cc if you don't reply to the git list (which I am subscribed to).
> > >
> > > Git is participating in Google Summer of Code this year and I've
> > > proposed to write a 'git statistics' command. This command would allow
> > > the user to gather data about a repository, ranging from "how active
> > > is dev x" to "what did x work on in the last 3 weeks".

These are pointy-hairy questions.

> > > It's main
> > > feature however, would be an algorithm that ranks commits as being
> > > either 'buggy', 'bugfix' or 'enhancement'. (There are several clues
> > > that can aid in determining this, a commit msg along the lines of
> > > "fixes ..." being the most obvious.)
>
> Sounds like an interesting project.

The interesting (and answerable) questions are:

1) How many bugs one non-merge commit brings on average
2) What is average time between buggy commit entering Linus's tree and
fix entering the same tree.
3) Graphs of #1 and #2 over time.
4) rough division of bugs a-la refcounting, locking, hw, hw workaround.
5) if other OS have such statistics, comparison with them
(little finger for this)

#1 alone can shred OSDL and LWN induced PDFs into innumerable pieces!