Re: Reporting bugs and bisection

From: Sverre Rabbelier
Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 - 15:57:41 EST

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 9:35 PM, Ray Lee <ray-lk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Finger-pointing, in these extreme cases, gives incentive to improve
> > > quality. It's a positive thing.
> >
> > Sorry, but I have to disagree. Negative finger-pointing is never a good thing.
>
> Correct, but let's be careful here. The original suggestion was,
> effectively, to get better metrics on the quality of contributions.
> Those metrics *could* be used for finger pointing, or (my preference)
> they could be used to direct and allocate our scarce resources: code
> reviews and mentoring.

Exactly!

> There's no way to know what the metrics will tell us until we have
> them. Arguing against metrics because they *may* be used to point
> fingers at people is a silly argument; anything can be subverted to do
> that.

Thank you, that should have been said before, you worded it perfectly.

> Let's get some measurements and see what they say. In the meantime,
> try to believe that they could be put to good purposes, such as
> identifying code areas that are tricky for contributors to get right
> (independent of contributor), or contributors that could benefit from
> code reviews, etc.

This especially is an area that I plan to focus on and should be very
reliable when finished. As can be read in my application, I plan to
look at how often a piece of code is changed, in what timespan and by
how many different authors.

Thanks for the reply!

Cheers,

Sverre