Re: Linux 2.6.25

From: Rudolf Marek
Date: Fri Apr 18 2008 - 17:15:53 EST

Hi all,

I will keep the rest of the mail intact for the lm-sensors list. The temperature is stored in hardware relative to maximum temperature. Mobile processors have some undocumented bits that calibrate the temperature to 85 or 100C. Intel claims that this does not work for desktops, so I changed the driver [1] and scale for desktop CPUs is from 0 to 100.

In your case, the MAX temperature is changed from 85 to 100 for desktops But the relative change is same, in your case -40C below the max [2]. You should now see instead of 40 around 60. Because it was 85 - 40 and now it is 100 - 40. Second problem is that the scale is not linear so it works more fine close to the MAX.

I think it is what happened. If you change the driver, so it will take 85C instead of 100C everything should go back to "normal". I'm sorry I did not invent relative only temp measurements, therefore I would recommend to watch how much is left to max temperature.

Hope it explains it,

Thanks,
Rudolf

[1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=118a88718886a6cb7fb2cf7fb77ef2eea30c73a1