Re: x86: 4kstacks default

From: Daniel Hazelton
Date: Sun Apr 20 2008 - 17:00:36 EST

On Sunday 20 April 2008 16:23:45 Bodo Eggert wrote:
> Daniel Hazelton <dhazelton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> But you have to first ask why do you want 4k tested? Does it serve
> >> any useful purpose in itself? I don't think so. Or you're saying
> >> it's important to support 50k kernel threads on 32bit kernels?
> >
> > Andi, you're the only one I've seen seriously pounding the "50k threads"
> > thing - I don't think anyone is really fooled by the straw-man, so I'd
> > suggest you drop it.
> >
> > The real issue is that you think (and are correct in thinking) that
> > people are idiots. Yes, there will be breakages if the default is changed
> > to 4k stacks - but if people are running new kernels on boxes that'll hit
> > stack use problems (that *AREN'T* related to ndiswrapper) and haven't
> > made sure that they've configured the kernel properly, then they deserve
> > the outcome. It isn't the job of the Linux Kernel to protect the
> > incompetent - nor is it the job of linux kernel developers to do such.
>
> It's the job of the kernel developers to mark experimental and broken
> options, and to put a warning:
>
> "This will break stacking of drivers, especially if disk manager, xfs, RAID
> and nfs are used. Yes, linux is broken by default, but only if you intend
> to set up a reliable system, so this will be OK!"
>
> into the help text, instead of expecting each admin to read lkml.

Note that I've yet to meet a competent admin that creates brand new
configurations each time they build a new kernel for a machine. Usually they
have a "default configuration" for each machine that gets updated each time a
new kernel is built. Usually they don't change working options. And since
changing things to 4K stacks default would cause a new option - the "8K
stacks" option to show up in a "make oldconfig" run - the admin would see it
and, hopefully, check the help text and see that it his system, with a deeply
stacked driver system (nfs+xfs+raid, for example) and set the 8K stacks
option to "Y".

As I said, it isn't the job of the kernel or kernel developers to protect the
incompetent (or the lazy).

DRH

--
Dialup is like pissing through a pipette. Slow and excruciatingly painful.