Re: Voyager phys_cpu_present_map compile error

From: James Bottomley
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 11:42:53 EST

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 09:00 -0400, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > * Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> I shouldn't send bug reports at 3 in the morning...
> >>
> >> Attached is the .config for both Voyager build errors I reported.
> >
> > thanks, the three patches below should fix it.
> >
> > i ended up excluding Voyager configs from our test space some time ago
> > (and VISWS as well - there's one more visws fix in x86.git), that's how
> > this broke. These subarchitectures seem not to be used at all and the
> > code wont boot on normal PCs. We could mark it BROKEN but the fix seems
> > simple in any case.

I did actually try to avoid these problems by booting the -mc tree on
voyager, but I note that none of these issues showed up in that tree the
last time I did this (admittedly about 3 weeks ago because of various
conferences etc).

> I talked to jejb about this, and pretty much the consensus was that if
> it breaks, mark it BROKEN, and let him come back and catch up. Under
> those conditions, I'm willing to keep it in the tree.

I didn't say mark it as BROKEN ... I did say I'd catch up. However,
it's usually best to begin trying to fix voyager around the -rc1 phase
since that's when the tree becomes stable again.

> VISWS is another matter. It's entirely possible I have the only
> remaining VISWS in my garage; we have at least not been able to locate
> another. Not that we have tried all that hard.
>
> If there are no VISWS' left, we should just unload the code.

I certainly don't have one. I just designed the subarchitectures to be
able to support it because it was a bit far away from x86 references,
and Andrey Panin was interested in supporting it at the time ... if he's
no longer doing that, then it can be removed.

James