Re: Linux 2.6.25 (coretemp reads high temperatures)

From: Matthew
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 12:29:18 EST

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 6:10 PM, Thomas BÃchler <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Len Brown schrieb:
>

> > Hello Mat,
> > I'm not familiar with "coretemp", can you point me to the exact version
> > of the application you are running so I can see how it is getting at
> > the underlying information?
> >

> I think there is some confusion here: "coretemp" is a kernel module, and
> all applications reading it will probably use the lm_sensors libraries. (I
> don't think the hwmon module are related to ACPI)
>
> $ modinfo coretemp
> filename: /lib/modules/2.6.25-ARCH/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko
> license: GPL
> author: Rudolf Marek <r.marek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> depends:
> vermagic: 2.6.25-ARCH SMP preempt mod_unload
>
> That said, I have two Core 2 CPUs (one mobile, one desktop) and the values
> coretemp reports have not changed compared to earlier kernel versions
> (around 60ÂC when idle on the mobile, much less on the desktop).
>

> > Also, do you see any change with and without kernel built with
> CONFIG_THERMAL=y?
>
> The values I see from ACPI thermal are also the same as before (this is
> funny: they are always about 15ÂC cooler than the coretemp values).
>
> So I don't see a regression here, maybe the reporter should try a vanilla
> kernel.

thermal isn't working on this board (if you mean /proc/acpi/thermal_zone ...)

I also tried a vanilla kernel & it showed the same higher temperature ;(

here the last mail (on lkml it was corrupted) - I don't know if you
were able to read it

> sure, I'll test-drive the vanilla-kernel, too
>
> thanks

ok, tested the vanilla-kernel this morning and it shows the exact high
temperatures (with CONFIG_THERMAL=y)

I've got a question:

when trying to disable thermal it just sits there & won't change:
<*> Hardware Monitoring support --->
-*- Generic Thermal sysfs driver --->

it seemingly depends on other things:
Selected by: ACPI_THERMAL && !X86_VOYAGER && ACPI && ACPI_PROCESSOR

is it safe to disable acpi_processor and acpi or CONFIG_THERMAL in
general ? or will it burn down my box ? ;)

I'm asking this because it says/writes:
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL: â
â â
â This driver adds support for ACPI thermal zones. Most mobile and â
â some desktop systems support ACPI thermal zones. It is HIGHLY â
â recommended that this option be enabled, as your processor(s) â
â may be damaged without it.

thanks

Mat
¢éì®&Þ~º&¶¬–+-±éÝ¥Šw®žË±Êâmébžìdz¹Þ)í…æèw*jg¬±¨¶‰šŽŠÝj/êäz¹ÞŠà2ŠÞ¨è­Ú&¢)ß«a¶Úþø®G«éh®æj:+v‰¨Šwè†Ù>Wš±êÞiÛaxPjØm¶Ÿÿà -»+ƒùdš_