Re: dtrace for linux

From: fox
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 15:58:49 EST

> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 1:17 AM, <fox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to announce that I am working on dtrace for Linux.
> > I have the userland dtrace binary compiled, along with the first
> > pre-pre-alpha dtracedrv.ko module loaded into my kernel.
>
> This is great news. How will this dtrace implementation differ from
> SystemTap (http://sourceware.org/systemtap/) ?
>
> Bart.

Hello Bart,

I dont know systemtap all that well, other than what i have
read on the net and browsed in the source. systemtap is similar,
but dtrace provides a high level functional language (D) and
a set of methodologies and scripts which mean learning/training
will make it easier to use.

In addition, dtrace promises to be kernel safe (whether or not it
is will be down to how good a job I do I guess!)