Re: PCI MSI breaks when booting with nosmp

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 16:45:45 EST

On Monday, April 21, 2008 1:20 pm Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Andi,
>
> Le lundi 21 avril 2008, Andi Kleen a écrit :
> > Jesse Barnes <jbarnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > > Ok, I see this too on my desktop machine. It looks like we're not
> > > getting interrupts setup correctly in the nosmp case. Still digging
> > > through to see why though...
> >
> > NoSMP disables the io-apic and a lot of modern systems don't work without
> > APIC.
> >
> > If you just want to run with a single cpu for testing etc. always use
> > maxcpus=1 (not 0, that will disable the APIC too)
>
> In my case, booting with noapic works fine, so I don't think that the
> problem is related to APIC being disabled.

One difference between noapic and nosmp is that in the nosmp case even the
local APIC setup won't occur in native_smp_prepare_cpus(), due to
smp_sanity_check() returning -1 in the setup_max_cpus == 0 case.

So we either need smp_sanity_check to do a little more APIC setup if max_cpus
== 0 or shuffle things around in native_smp_prepare_cpus(). Since the former
is already done for 32 bit builds for the NMI vector, maybe we should just
make it unconditional so that MSI works?

Jesse