Re: [GIT]: Sparc

From: Al Viro
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 19:25:47 EST

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:18:15AM +0100, Al Viro wrote:

> FWIW, two things I _really_ want dead and gone are
> * timod (or full rewrite of that animal; current one is badly racy
> and plays fast and loose with way too many place in VFS guts)
> * altroot (use chroot, damnit, and bind whatever you need in there)

BTW, the part about altroot goes for other architectures too; it's badly
broken and it's one hell of an obstacle to fs/namei.c work of any kind.

As absolute minimum we _must_ lose the "if we hadn't found what we wanted
in that subtree, repeat lookup starting at real root"; that's causing
nightmares in pathname resolution and there's no excuse whatsoever for
that since we have bindings.