Fwd: Linux 2.6.25 (coretemp reads high temperatures)

From: Matthew
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 05:26:19 EST

---------- Forwarded message ----------

(this is the last mail I sent, I apologize if it got there already
correctly and only my browser displays it corrupted on lkml.org)

thermal isn't working on this board (if you mean /proc/acpi/thermal_zone ...)

I also tried a vanilla kernel & it showed the same higher temperature ;(

here the last mail (on lkml it was corrupted) - I don't know if you
were able to read it

> sure, I'll test-drive the vanilla-kernel, too
>
> thanks

ok, tested the vanilla-kernel this morning and it shows the exact high
temperatures (with CONFIG_THERMAL=y)

I've got a question:

when trying to disable thermal it just sits there & won't change:
<*> Hardware Monitoring support --->
-*- Generic Thermal sysfs driver --->

it seemingly depends on other things:
Selected by: ACPI_THERMAL && !X86_VOYAGER && ACPI && ACPI_PROCESSOR

is it safe to disable acpi_processor and acpi or CONFIG_THERMAL in
general ? or will it burn down my box ? ;)

I'm asking this because it says/writes:
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL:

This driver adds support for ACPI thermal zones. Most mobile and
some desktop systems support ACPI thermal zones. It is HIGHLY
recommended that this option be enabled, as your processor(s)
may be damaged without it.

thanks

Mat