Re: [2.6 patch] select ATA_SFF

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 09:24:23 EST

Hi,

Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
ADMA is not SFF-8038i compilant, it's the IDE DMA spec of its own. And I'm seeing references to libata-sff.c... confusing.

In libata, SFF is used for controllers which have TF interface and BMDMA is used for the BMDMA part of SFF-8038i. I think this is the source of confusion here.

Looks like there's no clean separation within libata-sff.c itself between SFF-8038i (BMDMA spec) and IDE registers itself -- that confused me: at first I thought there's a big issue with a patch. :-/

Jeff, Tejun, what "sff" in the file name actually means? Isn't it strange that the drivers lacking DMA support or not really compliant with SFF-8038i have to link with this file?

Maybe it should be libata-tf and libata-bmdma, but sff (sans bmdma) and bmdma is acceptable, hopefully, right?

Thanks.

--
tejun