AIC94xx SAS question.

From: Wakko Warner
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 18:10:48 EST

Please keep me in CC.

This is a general question and probably doesn't matter which kernel
(although the one in question is 2.6.23 vanilla)

I know that this device requires firmware to operate which has to be loaded
when the driver is loaded.

I'd like to have this driver compiled into the kernel. My question is:

Can either of these be done:
1) Embed the firmware into the driver so that it can be used before the
rootfs id mounted.
2) Can the firmware be loaded in an initr{d,amfs}? I personnaly despise
initr{d,amfs} and if this option is used, I'd prefer it not to be kernel
specific (as in having the driver for the card in the initr{d,amfs}) this
way a kernel upgrade wouldn't change the initr{d,amfs}. I know there are
tools for this kind of thing, but I find it quite pointless to have the
driver in 2 places (in the init{r,amfs} and in /lib/modules) I also realize
that "disks are cheap" blah blah, but that's not the point.

I sent this to the linux-scsi list but didn't get too many helpful responces

Got Gas???