Re: No IDE drivers loaded for Toshiba Satellite 320 CDS

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Wed Apr 23 2008 - 23:48:52 EST

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
After all I thought the whole point of all the ports listed in
/proc/ioports was to indicate which io ports were currently reserved by
which driver so that no other driver could try to access them. If it
doesn't in fact work that way then it probably should.

It does work most of the time and it's probably safe to load legacy / generic drivers on most configurations. It's just that we're talking about 15+ years of gap between ISA and PCI-e and there could be some exceptions and we might need to tread a bit more carefully. To me, it sounds reasonable.

Thanks.

--
tejun