Re: ISDN testing

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 22:39:26 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Yeah, that's what my patchset does -- splits the "hisax" driver into
multiple smaller drivers. Thus, "modprobe hisax" produces the results
that you are seeing.

That will break a lot of user's setup.

At present, yes :/ Yet another why it's not upstream :)

You'll need to determine which newly-created kernel module applies to
your hardware. Let me know if you need help with that. The new
drivers should be in
/lib/modules/2.6.25-isdn/kernel/drivers/isdn/hisax/ provided that you
enabled them in the kernel configuration.

One way to avoid that issue would be to continue having a dummy
"hisax" module that just depends on all the other drivers with a symbol reference.

I'm definitely open to any solution like this. Unfortunately (as Frans, I think, pointed out) the hisax module routinely depends on critical setup info being passed as module options, mainly for non-PCI hardware.

One solution might be to create a dummy hisax module that calls foo_module_init() and foo_module_exit(), and stitch them together in an unconventional way.

Jeff