Re: [build bug] drivers/built-in.o: In function`rt2x00leds_resume': : undefined reference to `led_classdev_resume'

From: David Miller
Date: Fri Apr 25 2008 - 04:06:12 EST

From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:00:33 +0200

> personally i always considered this a Kconfig bug - although it's
> probably not an easy issue to solve. (what if there are conflicts? What
> if a driver's select choice disables another driver, without the user
> being openly aware of this side-effect?)

It definitely is seen as a bug in the context of the alternative,
using 'depend' and then forcing people to spend a lot of time trying
to figure out what magic option they have to enable just to turn
on the driver for their wireless card.

> the patch below fixes it here but it's still kind of a band-aid - what
> if the Kconfig structure of LEDS get modified - does that have to be
> propagated to all LEDS using drivers? I dont think this necessity of
> open-coded dependency resolution is maintainable in the long run.

Yes, that would be the way to work around this.

iwlwifi used LEDS and would need a similar workaround.

Maybe part of the problem is the "if NEW_LEDS" construct used
by drivers/leds/Kconfig? Perhaps we could make this work if
NEW_LEDS appeared as an explicit dependency of the various
LEDS_* options.

Or, maybe it works to make LEDS_CLASS select NEW_LEDS.

I don't know, this is just a gigantic maze, and I'm just throwing out
random ideas.