Re: core_pattern pipe documentation

From: Neil Horman
Date: Fri Apr 25 2008 - 15:08:52 EST

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 08:13:21PM +0200, Michael Kerrisk wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Neil Horman <nhorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 03:18:46PM +0200, Michael Kerrisk wrote:
> > > Hi Neil,

> > > Thanks for pointing that out! I'll note it in the page.

> > > Actually, I can't seem to get an example of this behavior. In my
> > > experiments, %c always seems to give the "right" info (i.e., I don't
> > > ever see %c showing 2^32 (unlimited) when I set a soft limit). Can
> > > you show a specific case where it doesn't give the "right" value?
> > >
> > Oops, you're right. I had initially implemented my core pattern updates this
> > way, but in the end wound up just ignoring the limit in do_coredump, rather than
> > re-writing it. Thanks for that. You can scratch this.

> > > I'm slightly confused by that last point. According to my
> > > experiments, the core_pattern executable is always run as user and
> > > group root, so making it set[ug]id root would seem to be a no-op.
> > > (But anyway, %u and %g do give the "right" values -- the UID and GID
> > > of the dumping process.)
> > >
> > Hmm, are you sure, I was under the impression that we fork the usermodehelper in
> > do_coredump as a parent of current, which has the dumping processes uid/gid. I
> > do see that in do_coredump we call get_dumpable(mm) and if it returns with the
> > appropriate value we switch current->fsuid to 0. I wonder if thats what you're
> > seeing?
>
> Have a look at the following. It demonstrates what I'm seeing (that
> the coredump program is run as root/root).
>
> ===
> $ cat core_pattern_test.c
> /* core_pattern_test.c */
>
> #define _GNU_SOURCE
> #include <sys/stat.h>
> #include <fcntl.h>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>
> #include <unistd.h>
>
> #define BUF_SIZE 1024
>
> int
> main(int argc, char *argv[])
> {
> int fd, tot, j;
> ssize_t nread;
> char buf[BUF_SIZE];
> FILE *fp;
>
> fd = open(argv[1], O_CREAT | O_WRONLY | O_TRUNC, 0666);
> if (fd == -1)
> exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
>
> fp = fdopen(fd, "a");
>
> fprintf(fp, "PID=%ld\n", (long) getpid());
> fprintf(fp, "cwd=%s\n", get_current_dir_name());
> fprintf(fp, "UID=%ld; EUID=%ld\n", (long) getuid(), (long) geteuid());
> fprintf(fp, "GID=%ld; EGID=%ld\n", (long) getgid(), (long) getegid());
>
> fprintf(fp, "argc=%d\n", argc);
> for (j = 0; j < argc; j++)
> fprintf(fp, "argc[%d]=<%s>\n", j, argv[j]);
>
> /* Count bytes in standard input */
>
> tot = 0;
> while ((nread = read(STDIN_FILENO, buf, BUF_SIZE)) > 0)
> tot += nread;
> fprintf(fp, "Total bytes in core dump: %d\n", tot);
>
> exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
> }
> [...]

I certainly don't doubt your results. The uid/gid options IIRC were there when
I made my updates and so I left them alone, wokring under the asumption that
thats what they were there for. Clearly you have evidence to the contrary here.
It seems like we should run the core collector as the uid of the dumping
process, simply because it doesn't need to be run as root (and one could force
the running of the commadn as root using the suid bit on the executable file).

I say documented like your experiment shows it to work, and I'll try to find
some time to investigate where we switch uids and why.

Thanks for the info!
Neil

--
* Neil Horman <nhorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>