Re: stat benchmark

From: Ulrich Drepper
Date: Mon Apr 28 2008 - 00:43:37 EST

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Soeren Sandmann <sandmann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So I am looking for ways to improve this.

Aside from what has already been proposed there is also the
readdirplus() route. Unfortunately the people behind this and related
proposals vanished after the last discussions. I was hoping they
come back with a revised proposal but perhaps not. Maybe it's time to
pick up the ball myself.

As a reminder, readdirplus() is an extended readdir() which also
returns (a subset of) the stat information for the file at the same
time. The subset part is needed to account for the different
information contained in the inodes. For most applications the subset
should be sufficient and therefore all that's needed is a single
iteration over the directory.